Repairing the damage done to your home after a flood can look like an overwhelming job. In most cases, it’s best to seek out the services of a professional flood damage restoration team. But when my home flooded a few years ago, I found out that there were some things that I could do myself. Books, clothes, and even furniture can recover from water damage under the right circumstances. Knowing how to prevent mold, and remove it when you find it, can also come in handy after a flood. I know that it can be a devastating event for a family. That’s why I started this blog – to share my experience with flood damage and share the things that I learned that helped me put my home back together. With both professional help, and amateur ideas, hopefully you can learn something useful from my experience.
A foul-smelling HVAC system is a nuisance that few people can stand. Unfortunately, you may have no option but to breathe in foul air in your house if you don't know what is causing the foul air in the first place. Here are some of the reasons HVAC systems sometimes emit foul odor:
An electrical malfunction can cause a bad odor to emanate from your HVAC system if it causes overheating or burns an electrical component. The problem usually occurs when an AC motor or electrical wire overheats and burns and the electrical fans circulate the burnt odor throughout the house. The smell is distinctively that of a burning object, so you should suspect an electrical issue with your system if you detect such an order.
Since an electrical issue can cause severe damage or electrical fire, your first reaction should be to shut off the HVAC unit. After that, you can call a technician to diagnose the issue.
Mold and Mildew
The growth of mold and mildew in parts of your HVAC system may also cause bad odor in your house. Remember that mold thrives in moist places, so if your HVAC is leaking or experiencing condensation issues, it can encourage mold growth. The common places where mold is likely to grow include the air handlers and the ductwork. Mold has a musty odor so you should suspect that is what you are dealing with when you detect a musty odor. Don't forget that mold is a health hazard; it can cause respiratory problems, so it needs to be dealt with as soon as possible too.
Animals, both pests and pets, can also cause a bad smell in your HVAC system. Both wild animals and pets can track in their dander, fecal wastes, and urine; these things can contaminate your HVAC system and get dispersed into different rooms. It is also possible for pests (such as insects, birds, and rodents) to die in your HVAC systems, such as ducts that aren't properly sealed, and fill your house with bad smell. Animal odors resemble sewer odors, and they are also health hazards that you should get rid of at the earliest opportunity.
Whenever you sense a sewer odor in your HVAC system, you should not assume that it is a dead animal smell; it might be the actual sewer from your waste system. For example, a malfunctioning drain can contaminate your return air registers and fill your house with a foul odor.
It can be difficult to diagnose the cause of a bad HVAC odor. An HVAC/plumber company can help diagnose and solve the odor in no time.Share
13 September 2017