Repairing the damage done to your home after a flood can look like an overwhelming job. In most cases, it’s best to seek out the services of a professional flood damage restoration team. But when my home flooded a few years ago, I found out that there were some things that I could do myself. Books, clothes, and even furniture can recover from water damage under the right circumstances. Knowing how to prevent mold, and remove it when you find it, can also come in handy after a flood. I know that it can be a devastating event for a family. That’s why I started this blog – to share my experience with flood damage and share the things that I learned that helped me put my home back together. With both professional help, and amateur ideas, hopefully you can learn something useful from my experience.
If your heater suddenly stops working when it's cold outside you may have to wait a day or two before the HVAC technician can make it out to you to repair the heater for you. If it's very cold then this can present a problem. Luckily, you can make a small heater out of items you have lying around your house to warm up one or more of the rooms in your home until help arrives. Follow the simple instructions below to make your own temporary heater.
Gather the supplies you'll need.
Put your temporary heater together.
This heater is extremely easy to make. You will fit the toilet paper roll inside the paint can and push it into place. Fill the paint can up with the alcohol until you see it's only about an inch from the top. Wait for a minute so the alcohol absorbs into the toilet paper. If you need, you will add more alcohol to bring the level back up to an inch from the top.
Once you follow the instructions detailed above, the heater will be ready for you to use. Set the heater on a flat hard surface that won't melt under the heat of the can. Take the match and light the toilet paper. You will partially cover the top of the paint can with the lid to control the size of the flame.
One of these heaters will warm up a small room. You can make two or more of them to warm up a large room in your house. When you are done with the heater you can fit the lid on it tightly and store it for future use.
There is a very small risk of carbon monoxide poisoning with this temporary heater. Opening a window just a small crack near the location of the heater will be enough to keep you and your family safe from the effects of the smoke.
As with any type of heating device, you want to use good judgment. Put it in a place where it won't be a fire hazard, get knocked over and keep it away from small children and pets. You'll be able to keep warm with it until the HVAC repair technician, like those at Shideler Electric, Heating & Cooling, can get to you and fix your heater.Share
4 February 2015